Taste Modulators Market by Application (Food, Beverage, and Pharmaceutical), Type (Sweet Modulators, Salt Modulators, and Fat Modulators), and Region (North America, Europe, APAC, South America, Rest of the World) - Global Forecast to 2027
[243 Pages Report] According to MarketsandMarkets, the global taste modulator market is estimated to be valued at USD 1.3 billion in 2022. It is projected to reach USD 1.9 billion by 2027, at a CAGR of 7.3%, in terms of value, between 2022 and 2027. Taste modulators are products that enhance the flavor and taste of the products in which the caloric content is reduced. The widely used modulators are sweetness enhancers, salt reducers, and bitterness blockers. Tastemakers play an important role in food formulating and making food products more flavorful. Increasing awareness regarding health and fitness, increasing prevalence of diabetes and obesity, and consumption of low-calorie food products have resulted in high demand for taste modulators that improve the taste and texture of the final product.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, Request for Free Sample Report
Taste Modulators Market Dynamics
Drivers: Increased consumer demand for reduced-calorie products with original taste of sugar
The prevalence of diabetes and obesity has been increasing globally. Sugar-sweetened soft drinks are a major source of excess calories and glycemic load in the diet. Obesity elevates the risk of numerous diseases—from Type-2 diabetes to cancer. Sugar substitutes such as high-intensity sweeteners reduce the concentration of sucralose while maintaining the intensity of sweetness. However, they exhibit off-tastes in the final product. Sweet modulators help get rid of these off-tastes, while maintaining the low-calorie content of food and beverages. In developed countries, the demand for healthier, low-caloric foods and sweeteners has been on the rise to tackle the adverse health effects of predominantly sedentary lifestyles.
Restraints: Growing consumer awareness about food additives
There are major health effects of a few chemicals that make up natural and artificial taste modulators. A few compounds such as butyric acid and carvacrol are used as synthetic taste modulators, which can cause health problems. Also, there are certain toxins present in natural flavors extracted through fruits or plants. Such toxins can be harmful to the human body and cause health hazards if not treated properly. Regulatory authorities, government bodies, and NGOs are playing a significant role in raising consumer awareness regarding the health hazards of food additives. These effects restrain the market growth.
Opportunities: Increasing demand for innovative beverages in the market
Advancements in food technology enable the development of new flavors; for instance, innovations such as flavor encapsulation provide a new dimension to taste modulators. The development of new flavor modulators in the market has triggered the demand for taste modulators globally and will continue to do so in the coming future. The major players in the market are adopting innovations to remain competitive in the market and gain a larger market share.
Challenges: Ambiguity regarding the health effects of sugar substitutes
Sweet taste modulators dominated the market as they are widely used in sugar substitutes to eliminate the bitter or metallic taste in the final product. However, the benefits/adverse effects of sugar substitutes are an ongoing subject of research and discussion. There are no standard regulations implemented on sweet modulators, and they vary with countries across the globe. Research linking the use of sugar substitutes to various health problems is the biggest restraint to the sugar substitutes market.
By type, the salt modulator segment occupies the second-largest market share during the forecast period
Based on type, the salt modulator segment occupies the second-largest significant share in the taste modulator market. It is projected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Salt is one of the important ingredients in different food products as it helps to bring out all the other flavors and keep them intact. Salt is also used as a preservative in order to increase the self-life of the product. Increasing awareness regarding excessive salt intake and enhanced flavor masking benefits of taste modulators are driving the growth of the market.
By application, the beverages segment is estimated to occupy the largest market share in terms of value
By application, the beverages segment is estimated to occupy the largest market share in the taste modulator market. There are different types of beverages widely consumed like dairy-based beverages, alcoholic beverages, functional beverages, etc., which requires sweetness modulators to regulate the sugar content and keep the taste intact. Additionally, alcoholic beverages need a masking modulator to mask the bitter flavors. The increased consumption and demand for beverages globally impact the need for modulators in the beverage application.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
North America is the largest region with a significant CAGR in the taste modulator market. This is attributed to factors such as an increase in consumer preference for healthy products. North America is one of the key markets for taste modulators. The main factors that drive the taste modulators in North America are a rise in health awareness among consumers and the presence of key players such as Ingredion (US) and International Flavor & Fragrance (US) in the taste modulators market. With the increasing health awareness among consumers, the willingness to pay for supplements and food & beverage products has witnessed tremendous growth in recent years.
Key Market Players:
Koninklijke DSM N.V. (the Netherlands), IFF (US), Givaudan (Switzerland), Kerry Group (Ireland), Ingredion (US), Symrise (Germany), Sensient Technologies (US), Tate & Lyle PLC (UK), Corbion (Netherlands), Takasago International Corporation (Japan), The Flavor Factory (US), Carmi Flavors & Fragrance (US), Cargill (US), Mane (France), ADM (US), Angel Yeast Co. Ltd (China), Flavorchem Corporation (US), Synergy Flavors (US), Innophos Holdings, Inc (US), and Apura Ingredients (US)
Scope of the Report
|Market size estimation||2019–2027|
|Base year considered||2021|
|Forecast period considered||2022–2027|
|Units considered||Value (USD), Volume (Million Tons)|
|Segments covered||Taste modulators Market (Application, Type, and Region)|
|Regions covered||North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Rest of the World|
(Taste modulators Manufacturers):
- Raw material suppliers
- Pharmaceutical & nutraceuticals manufacturers
- Regulatory bodies
- Government agencies and NGOs
- Food & beverage manufacturers/suppliers
- Food safety agencies
- Feed manufacturers
- Personal care product manufacturers
- Healthcare organizations
This research report categorizes the taste modulators market based on application, type, and region.
- Confectionery products
- Bakery products
- Dairy products
- Snacks & savory products
- Meat products
- Other food applications
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Alcoholic beverages
- Sweet modulators
- Salt modulators
- Fat modulators
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
Rest of the World
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Others (Turkey, Nigeria, the UAE, and Egypt)
- In June 2022, Koninklijke DSM N.V (Netherlands) announced its merger with Firmenich (Denmark). Firmenich is among the major leaders in fragrance and flavors. This merger will help the company to strengthen its market position in the nutrition, wellness, and beauty space. As per company sources, the merger will be completed by 2023.
- In 2022 February, the company completed the merger with Dupont’s Nutrition & Biosciences (US). The merger agreement of IFF and DuPont results in the company being a global leader in high-value ingredients and solutions for the global food & beverage, home & personal care, and health & wellness markets. The agreement valued the combined company at USD 45.4 billion on an enterprise value basis. This will help IFF to expand in several geographies and supply its taste modulator product to different customer bases.
- Givaudan announced that it completed the acquisition of Ungerer & Company, the US-based flavor, fragrance, and specialty ingredients company, in February 2020. Ungerer has a strong market presence in North America, along with a developed position in all its segments and a high customer base. The acquisition will help Givaudan to integrate and expand its product portfolio, thereby catering to a newer customer base with an enhanced product range.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Which are the major taste modulator market type considered in this study, and which segments are projected to have promising growth rates in the future?
All the major taste modulator type, such as sweet, salt, and fat modulators, are considered in the scope of the study. Sweet modulator currently accounts for a dominant share in the taste modulator market, and the segment is projected to experience a significant growth rate in the next five years.
I am interested in the Asia Pacific market for sweet and salt modulator segments. Is customization available for the same? What all information would be included in the same?
Yes, customization for the Asia Pacific market for various segments can be provided on various aspects, including market size, forecast, market dynamics, company profiles, and competitive landscape. Exclusive insights on below Asia Pacific countries will be provided:
- Australia & New Zealand
- Rest of Asia Pacific (Vietnam, the Philippines, South Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, and Thailand)
What are some drivers fueling the growth of the taste modulator market?
Global taste modulator market is characterized by the following drivers:
Drivers: Growing awareness among consumers about the ill effects of excessive salt intake
The increasing demand for processed foods and the rising intake of sodium through these foods, especially processed meat products, has pressurized food manufacturers to produce low/no sodium products. Various agencies such as the National Academy of Science (US), Food Safety Authority (Ireland), Food Standards Agency (UK), and Department of Health and Human Services (US) have established a relationship between hypertension and sodium intake and have recommended a reduction of salt intake in processed foods. Therefore, manufacturers have opted for the reduction of salt in their products while enhancing the perception of salinity, using taste modulators.
I am interested in understanding the research methodology on how you arrived at the market size and segmental splits before making a purchase decision. Can you provide me with an explanation on the same?
Yes, a detailed explanation of the research methodology can be provided over a scheduled call; it will also enable us to explain all your queries in detail. For a brief overview and knowledge: Multiple approaches have been adopted to understand the holistic view of this market, including:
- Bottom-up approach
- Top-down approach (Based on the global market)
- Primary interviews with industry experts
- Data triangulation
What kind of information is provided in the competitive landscape section?
For the list of the below-mentioned players, company profiles provide insights such as a business overview covering information on the company’s business segments, financials, geographic presence, revenue mix, and business revenue mix. The company profiles section also provides information on product offerings, key developments associated with the company, SWOT analysis, and MnM view to elaborate analyst view on the company. Some of the key players in the market are Koninklijke DSM N.V. (the Netherlands), IFF (US), Givaudan (Switzerland), Kerry Group (Ireland), Ingredion (US), Symrise (Germany), Sensient Technologies (US), Tate & Lyle PLC (UK), Corbion (Netherlands), Takasago International Corporation (Japan), The Flavor Factory (US), Carmi Flavors & Fragrance (US), Cargill (US), Mane (France), ADM (US), Angel Yeast Co. Ltd (China), Flavorchem Corporation (US), Synergy Flavors (US), Innophos Holdings, Inc (US), and Apura Ingredients (US).
To speak to our analyst for a discussion on the above findings, click Speak to Analyst
The study involved four major activities in estimating the taste modulator’s market size. Exhaustive secondary research was conducted to collect information on the market, peer market, and parent market. The next step was to validate these findings, assumptions, and sizing with industry experts across the value chain through primary research. Both demand-side and supply-side approaches were employed to estimate the complete market size. Thereafter, market breakdown and data triangulation were used to estimate the market size of segments and sub-segments.
In the secondary research process, various secondary sources, such as the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI), Food Standards Agency, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), were referred to identify and collect information for this study. These secondary sources included annual reports, web releases, investor presentations of companies, news articles, journals, and paid databases.
The market comprises several stakeholders, such as pharmaceutical & nutraceuticals manufacturers, regulatory bodies, government agencies and NGOs, food & beverage manufacturers/suppliers, end users, food safety agencies and feed manufacturers and regulatory organizations in the supply chain. The demand side of the market is characterized by the presence of pharmaceutical industries, feed and pet food manufacturing industries, functional food and beverage industries, and personal care industries. The supply side is characterized by the presence of taste modulators manufacturers. Various primary sources from both the supply and demand sides of the market were interviewed to obtain qualitative and quantitative information.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
Market Size Estimation
Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were used to estimate and validate the total size of the taste modulators market. These methods were also used extensively to estimate the size of various subsegments in the market. The research methodology used to estimate the market size includes the following:
- The key players were identified through extensive primary and secondary research.
- The value chain and market size of the taste modulators market, in terms of value and volume, were determined through primary and secondary research.
- All percentage shares, splits, and breakdowns were determined using secondary sources and verified through primary sources.
- All possible parameters that affect the market covered in this research study were accounted for, viewed in extensive detail, verified through primary research, and analyzed to obtain the final quantitative and qualitative data.
- The research included the study of reports, reviews, and newsletters of top market players, along with extensive interviews for opinions from key leaders, such as CEOs, directors, and marketing executives.
After arriving at the overall market size from the estimation process described above, the total market was split into several segments. To complete the overall market engineering process and arrive at the exact statistics for all segments, data triangulation and market breakdown procedures were employed, wherever applicable. The data was triangulated by studying various factors and trends from both the demand and supply sides. In addition, the market size was validated using both top-down and bottom-up approaches. It was then verified through primary interviews. Hence, three approaches were adopted—the top-down approach, the bottom-up approach, and the one involving expert interviews. Only when the values arrived at from the three points match, the data is assumed to be correct.
- To define, segment, and project the global market size for the taste modulators market based on application, type, and regions over a historical period ranging from 2019 to 2021 and a forecast period ranging from 2022 to 2027
- To provide detailed information about the key factors influencing the growth of the market (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and industry-specific challenges)
- To analyze the opportunities in the market for stakeholders and provide a competitive landscape for market leaders
- To project the size of the market and its submarkets, in terms of value, with respect to five regions (along with their respective key countries): North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and the Rest of the World
- To strategically profile the key players and comprehensively analyze their core competencies
- To analyze competitive developments, such as expansions, mergers & acquisitions, and new product launches in the taste modulators market
Based on the given market data, MarketsandMarkets offers customizations in the reports according to client-specific requirements. The available customization options are as follows:
- Product Matrix, which gives a detailed comparison of the product portfolio of each company
- Further breakdown of the Rest of Asia Pacific taste modulators market, by key country
- Further breakdown of the Rest of the European taste modulators market, by key country
- Further breakdown of the Rest of the South American taste modulators market, by key country
- Detailed analyses and profiling of additional market players (up to five)