PVDF Membrane Market by Type (Hydrophilic, Hydrophobic), Technology, Application (General Filtration, Sample Preparation, Bead-based Assays), End-use Industry (Biopharmaceutical, Industrial, Food & & Beverage), and Region - Global Forecast to 2025
[172 Pages Report] The global PVDF membrane market size is estimated at USD 629 million in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 925 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 8.0%. The growing demand for PVDF membrane is due to the increasing waterwater treatment activitie and stringent regulations regarding emissions and water treatment.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, Request for Free Sample Report
COVID-19 impact on Global PVDF Membrane Market
The PVDF membrane are used various industries such as biopharmaceutical, industrial, food &beverage, and others. COVID-19 has severely impacted these industries.
- The lockdown in various countries and logistical restrictions have adversely impacted the industries. Supply chain disruptions, workforce unavailability, logistical restrictions, limited availability of components, demand drop, low company liquidity, and shutdown of manufacturing due to lockdown in various countries have adversely affected the industry. Raw material suppliers and other related businesses are forced to re-evaluate their strategies to cater to this industry during this crisis period.
- Due to lockdown, many food & beverage processing industries, textile, and water & wastewater treatment industries activities are halted. The companies are taking precautions to avoid the spread of the virus. Governments of different countries are keeping a close watch on the disruption and taking every necessary step to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 by promoting food processing. For instance, The UAE has tripled its local food production and is aiming to increase domestic production of essential items, such as dairy products, cooking oil, and packaging of dates, fresh poultry, fish, seafood, and other items.
- Even where shutdowns have not been imposed, restrictions on the movement of people and supplies have delayed operations. In the second half of 2020, countries have lifted restrictions and gradually started business operations in various sectors. Even after the lifting of lockdown, it will be challenging for PVDF membrane manufacturers to get back to normal working situations. This will subsequently affect the PVDF membrane market.
PVDF membrane Market Dynamics
Driver: Stringent regulations pertaining to emission and treatment of municipal and industrial wastes
Stringent regulatory and sustainability mandates have increased the demand for water purification and wastewater treatment. To control the level of pollution, various emission control acts have been enforced in most countries around the world to ensure that disposed wastes pose lower environmental risks. For instance, the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia are updating their emission standards to reduce pollution levels in the atmosphere. These countries and a few developing countries, such as Brazil, South Africa, India, China, and Saudi Arabia, have set five-year targets to reduce pollution levels. In Canada, over 150 billion liters of untreated wastewater are released into waterways every year, which is one of the major health, environmental, and economic issues in the country. The European Union (EU) follows the 7th Environment Action Program (EAP), which is likely to guide the environment policies until 2020. The EU Drinking Water Directive (DWD) has also proposed several water purifications mandates and regulations to maintain the purity and potability of drinking water.
These regulations ensure that high-quality standards are maintained for drinking water and wastewater treatment and will increase the demand for PVDF membrane for water & wastewater treatment industries
Restrain: High production cost of PVDF membrane
The major raw material used for the manufacturing of PVDF membrane is PVDF. PVDF membranes with adequate characteristics are not available at a reasonable cost, as the membrane industry is capital-intensive in nature. PVDF membrane is more costly compared to PTFE and other nitrocellulose membranes. The cost of production and maintenance of these membranes is much higher, thus giving rise to alternatives that are more cost-effective. Higher cost restrains the growth of PVDF membrane, especially in the emerging markets. The capital and operating costs of PVDF membrane filtration systems are high. Operating costs include power consumption and chemical usage for both operation and membrane cleaning. Moreover, the existing players are more dominant in the market, which makes it more difficult for new entrants to establish a high-cost manufacturing unit and market their product. Thus, the high capital and production cost of PVDF membrane increases the cost of PVDF membrane, which acts as a major restraint for the growth of the glo bal PVDF membrane market.
Opportunity: Increasing demand for treated water in emerging economies
The demand for treated water in emerging economies, such as China, India, and Indonesia, is increasing at a fast pace. According to CABI, a member of The Association of International Research and Development Centers for Agriculture (AIRCA), APAC alone consumes around 2.85 trillion cubic liters of water every day. The growing population is the major driver for this demand, which has augmented the scope for desalination in this region. The requirement of process water in power, food & beverage, chemical, petrochemical, and other industries is expected to grow during the forecast period. This is expected to significantly increase the demand for PVDF membrane in these regions.
Challenge: Issues related to life span and efficiency of PVDF membrane
PVDF membranes have an average lifespan of around 2-5 years. Their efficiency and lifespan depend on the type of application in which they are being used. These membranes undergo fouling when in use and have to be cleaned on a regular basis for maintaining proper efficiency. Fouling mainly occurs due to the deposition of salts or dissolved solids on the external surface of the PVDF membrane. PVDF membranes used in desalination, brackish water treatment, and other processes are prone to fouling or plugging, which increase hydraulic resistance and decrease permeate flux. During the treatment of water or any filtration process, certain components that include iron, manganese, calcium, and sulfate may form a precipitate on the membrane surface. For instance, if the RO feed water contains a high concentration of material that tends to foul the membrane, the life expectancy of the PVDF membrane will be reduced. The feed water is likely to affect the PVDF membrane adversely during the separation process.
The Hydrophilic membrane segment is estimated to lead the overall PVDF membranesmarket in 2020.
PVDF membrane is a high-performance thermoplastic with good chemical resistance, high heat resistance, low coefficient of friction, and good fatigue resistance. It is inherently hydrophilic in nature. The hydrophilic type is the most-widely used PVDF membrane owing to its various physical properties, such as high porosity, chemical & abrasion resistance, particle retention, convenience in handling, high filtration efficiency, and high flow rates. Due to these properties, hydrophilic PVDF finds extensive use in filtration applications involving exposure to aqueous solutions and gasses. It is extensively used in gas and aqueous solution filtration applications in food & beverage, chemical & petrochemical, biopharmaceutical, processing, and other industries.
Ultrafiltration technology to be largest segment of PVDF membrane in 2020.
Ultrafiltration technology will account for the largest share of the PVDF membrane market in 2020. Ultrafiltration involves finely porous membranes to separate water and micro solutes from macromolecules and colloids. In ultrafiltration, the mechanism for the separation of the solvent from the solute/colloidal particle is similar to that of reverse osmosis and nanofiltration with distinction in pore sizes.
The general filtration to be the largest application of PVDF membrane.
The general filtration segment is the largest application of PVDF membrane due to its extensive use in filtration end-use industries such as biopharmaceutical, petrochemical, and food & beverage. Chemical inertness, the ability to sustain high temperature, good mechanical properties, and high filtration efficiency make PVDF membranes suitable for industrial filtration applications, where they are exposed to corrosive environments and come in contact with gasses, acids, solvents, and alkaline solutions.
The biopharmaceutical to be the largest consumer of PVDF membrane.
The biopharmaceutical industry holds the largest share of the PVDF membrane market in 2020. Increasing investment in R&D for the biotechnology and medical industry is expected to propel the growth of the PVDF membranes market globally. The market for the biopharmaceutical industry is expected to continue to grow at a relatively high rate in the next five years, providing a large market for manufacturers of PVDF membrane.
APAC is projected to be the fastest growing PVDF membrane market during the forecast period.
APAC was the largest market for PVDF membrane in 2019 and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market during the forecast period. It accounted for a share of 35.0% in terms of value, of the global market in 2019. The market in APAC is projected to register a CAGR of 8.8% between 2020 and 2025. The market growth in this region is primarily attributed to its rapidly growing population, urbanization, and industrialization. The demand for PVDF membrane is high in developing economies, such as China, India, Brazil, and Argentina. The growing demand from the biopharmaceutical, industrial such as water & wastewater treatment, and food & beverage processing is playing a crucial role in fueling the market for PVDF membrane in APAC. Implementation of strict regulations regarding water treatment & industrial wastewater discharge is also expected to drive the PVDF membrane market in the region.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
Scope of the Report
Years considered for the study
Value (USD Million)
Type, Technology, Application, End-use industry, and Region
APAC, Europe, North America, South America, and Middle East & Africa.
Total of 10 major players covered:
This research report categorizes the PVDF membrane market based on type, technology, application, end-use industry, and region.
Based on Type:
Based on the technology:
Based on the application:
- General Filtration
- Sample Preparation
- Bead-based Assays
Based on the end-use industry:
- Food & Beverage
Based on the region:
- North America
- Middle East & Africa
- South America
Key Market Players
The key players profiled in this report Arkema (France), Merck Millipore (US), Koch Separation Solutions (US), Cytiva (US), CITIC Envirotech (Singapore), Pall (US), Bio-Rad Laboratories (US), Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), Membrane Solutions (US), and GVS (Italy). These companies have adopted various organic as well as inorganic growth strategies between 2017 and 2020 to enhance their regional presence and meet the growing demand for PVDF membrane from emerging economies.
- In July 2020, Merck Millipore announced an investment of USD 21.23 million to build a laboratory facility in Buchs, Switzerland, to support its rapidly growing material business. This will help to continue to drive innovation and expand the R&D of analytical standards.
- In April 2020, Koch Separation Solutons announced the expansion of its manufacturing capacity of its PURON reinforced hollow fiber membrane technology by 50.0%. This expansion will help the company in significant growth and increase ability to serve businesses that utilize these technologies for wastewater treatment needs.
- In January 2020, Cytiva has announced to build a new 7,360 square meter facility in Grens, Switzerland for the manufacturing of single-use kits. This facility will meet global regulatory requirements and is expected to be fully operational in 2022.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What is the current size of the global PVDF membrane market?
Global PVDF membrane market size is estimated at USD 629 million in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 925 million by 2025, at a CAGR of 8.0%.
Are there any regulations for PVDF membrane?
Regulations for PVDF membrane used in medical devices, such as syringe filters, IV vents, and spike vents, are rapidly evolving in several countries. There are a few common frameworks that integrate regulatory systems with the most advanced medical device regulations..
Who are the winners in the global PVDF membrane market?
Companies such as Arkema (France), Merck Millipore (US), Koch Separation Solutions (US), Cytiva (US), CITIC Envirotech (Singapore), Pall (US), Bio-Rad Laboratories (US), Thermo Fisher Scientific (US), Membrane Solutions (US), and GVS (Italy) falls under the winner’s category. These companies cater to the requirements of their customers by providing customized products. Such advantages give these companies an edge over other companies that are component providers.
What is the COVID-19 impact on PVDF membrane manufacturers?
Industry experts believe that COVID-19 could affect various industrial activities globally. Due to lockdown, many food & beverage processing industries, biopharmaceutical industries, and water & wastewater treatment industries activities are halted. A leading meat processing company in US, restricted its pork processing by nearly 50% and beef production by about 25% by May 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic situation. Overall, GDP is expected to shrink by 3.0%, as per the International Monetary Fund (IMF). However, the demand is expected to rise post-pandemic, owing to measures including flexibilization, resizing, operational excellence, digitization, and investments in R&D.
What are some of the drivers in the market?
The increased demand for PVDF membrane from biopharmaceutical industries and stringent regulations pertaining to emission and waste treatment are the driving factors for the PVDF membrane market. .
To speak to our analyst for a discussion on the above findings, click Speak to Analyst
The study involves four major activities in estimating the current market size of PVDF membranes. Extensive secondary research was carried out to collect information on the market, the peer market, and the parent market. The next step was to validate these findings, assumptions, and sizing with industry experts across the value chain through primary research. Both top-down and bottom-up approaches were employed to estimate the complete market size. After that, the market breakdown and data triangulation methodologies were used to estimate the market size of the segments and subsegments.
In the secondary research process, various secondary sources, such as Factiva, Hoovers and Bloomberg BusinessWeek, were referred to for identifying and collecting information for this study. These secondary sources included annual reports, press releases & investor presentations of companies; white papers; certified publications; articles by recognized authors; gold standard & silver standard websites; regulatory bodies; and databases.
The PVDF membrane market comprises several stakeholders, such as raw material suppliers, manufacturers, and distributors of PVDF membrane, industry associations, end-users, and regulatory organizations in the supply chain. The demand side of this market consists of major construction companies, whereas the supply side consists of PVDF system manufacturers. Various primary sources from both the supply and demand sides of the market were interviewed to obtain qualitative and quantitative information. Following is the breakdown of primary interviews
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
Market Size Estimation
Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were used to estimate and validate the total size of the PVDF membrane market. These methods were also used extensively to estimate the size of various subsegments of the market. The research methodology used to estimate the market size includes the following:
- The key players in the market were identified through extensive secondary research.
- The industry’s supply chain and market size, in terms of value and volume were determined through primary and secondary research processes.
- All percentage shares, splits, and breakdowns were determined using secondary sources and verified through primary sources.
After arriving at the overall market size—using the market size estimation processes explained above—the market was split into several segments and subsegments. To complete the overall market engineering process and arrive at the exact statistics of each market segment and subsegment, the data triangulation, and market breakdown procedures were employed, wherever applicable. Data was triangulated by studying various factors and trends from both the demand and supply sides.
Objectives of the Study:
- To define and analyze the PVDF membrane market size, in terms of value.
- To provide detailed information about the key factors (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges) influencing the market growth
- To analyze and forecast the market by type, technology, application, end-use industry, and region
- To forecast the size of the market with respect to five regions; Asia Pacific (APAC), Europe, North America, South America, and the Middle East & Africa, along with their key countries
- To strategically analyze micro markets with respect to individual trends, growth prospects, and their contribution to the overall market
- To analyze opportunities in the market for stakeholders and provide a competitive landscape for market leaders
- To analyze competitive developments in the market, investment & expansion, merger & acquisition and partnership & agreement.
- To strategically profile key players and comprehensively analyze their market shares and core competencies
MarketsandMarkets offers customizations according to the specific needs of the companies, along with the market data. The following customization options are available for this report:
- A product matrix that provides a detailed comparison of the product portfolio of each company
- Further breakdown of the Rest of APAC PVDF membrane market
- Detailed analysis and profiles of additional market players.