Digital Pharmacy Market Trends and Sectoral Analysis in United States in 2023
This News Covers
The year 2023 has marked a significant shift in the healthcare landscape of the United States, with the online pharmacy market emerging as a dominant player. As the digital revolution continues to reshape various industries, the pharmaceutical sector is no exception.
The convenience of online shopping, combined with the increasing reliance on e-commerce platforms, has propelled the growth of online pharmacies, making them an integral part of the modern healthcare system.
Several factors have contributed to this upward trajectory. Firstly, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which began in late 2019, has played a pivotal role. With social distancing norms and lockdown measures in place, consumers have increasingly turned to online platforms to fulfill their medicinal needs. This shift in consumer behavior has provided a substantial boost to online pharmacies, which offer contactless deliveries and a wide range of products at the click of a button.
Advancements in telemedicine have facilitated seamless interactions between patients and healthcare professionals. This integration has allowed for prescriptions to be generated and fulfilled online, eliminating the need for physical visits to clinics and pharmacies. The rise in chronic diseases, coupled with an aging population, has also increased the demand for regular medications, making online pharmacies a convenient solution for many.
Regulatory changes have also played a role. The U.S. government, recognizing the potential of online pharmacies, has introduced measures to ensure the safety and authenticity of drugs sold online. These regulations have instilled confidence in consumers, leading to greater trust in online pharmaceutical platforms.
The online pharmacy market in the United States in 2023 is experiencing unprecedented growth. Driven by technological advancements, changing consumer behaviors, and supportive regulatory frameworks, it is poised to redefine the future of healthcare in the country.
Digital Pharmacy Sector Analysis: June-July 2023
- Industry Impact:
The digital pharmacy industry is projected to grow from USD 96.5 billion in 2022 to reach USD 211.9 billion by 2027, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 17.0% during the forecast period.
The growth of this market is driven by the increasing consumer preference toward buying online medicines during and post the COVID-19 pandemic, consolidation in the market and partnerships, and the growing geriatric population.
However, the growth of this market is expected to be restrained by patients relying on pharmacists for clinical support and the increasing number of illegal pharmacies.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a significant impact on the digital pharmacy market. The growing number of internet users, increased access to online services, and the rising implementation of e-prescriptions in healthcare services during the pandemic supported market growth. For instance, in March 2020, CVS Health began employing new measures for drug requirements, and in November 2020, Amazon launched an online pharmacy service in the US.
- Top Leaders:
Prominent players in the digital pharmacy market include CVS Health (US), Cigna (US), Optum, Inc. (Part of the UnitedHealth Group) (US), Walgreens Co. (US), Walmart Inc. (US), The Kroger Co. (US), Amazon.com, Inc. (US), GoodRx (US), Costco Wholesale Corporation (US), Rite Aid Corp. (US), and many others. These players are focusing on product/service upgrades, acquisitions, partnerships, agreements, expansions, and collaborations to expand their product offerings in the digital pharmacy market.
The digital pharmacy market is projected to reach USD 211.9 billion by 2027 from USD 96.5 billion in 2022.
- Additional Insights:
Based on drug type, the digital pharmacy market is segmented into prescription medicines and over-the-counter products. Prescription medicines accounted for the largest share in 2021, but the over-the-counter (OTC) products segment is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Based on products, the medicines & treatments segment accounted for the largest share of the global digital pharmacy market in 2021.
In terms of platforms, apps accounted for the largest share of the global digital pharmacy market in 2021, with websites expected to grow at the second-highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Geographically, North America dominated the digital pharmacy market in 2022, but the Asia Pacific market is projected to register the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Top digital pharmacies in 2023
- MarketsandMarkets’ analysts have noted that the top digital pharmacies in 2023 include:
CVS Health (US): A leading pharmacy chain in the US, CVS Health has expanded its digital offerings, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, to cater to the increasing demand for online medicines and healthcare services.
Cigna (US): Cigna, primarily known as a health services company, has also ventured into the digital pharmacy space, offering online prescription and healthcare services.
Optum, Inc. (Part of the UnitedHealth Group) (US): Optum is a health services platform that, as part of the UnitedHealth Group, provides digital pharmacy services among its various healthcare offerings.
Walgreens Co. (US): Walgreens, one of the largest drugstore chains in the US, has a significant online presence, offering digital pharmacy services, including online prescription refills and deliveries.
Walmart Inc. (US): Walmart, the multinational retail corporation, has expanded its healthcare services to include digital pharmacy offerings, making it easier for customers to access medications online.
The Kroger Co. (US): Kroger, one of the largest supermarket chains in the US, offers digital pharmacy services, allowing customers to manage prescriptions and health services online.
Amazon.com, Inc. (US): Amazon entered the digital pharmacy space with the launch of its online pharmacy service, providing both generic and prescription medications to customers.
GoodRx (US): GoodRx is a platform that offers price comparisons for prescription drugs and has a significant online presence in the digital pharmacy sector.
Costco Wholesale Corporation (US): Costco, a membership-only warehouse club, provides digital pharmacy services, allowing members to order and manage prescriptions online.
Rite Aid Corp. (US): Rite Aid, a leading drugstore chain in the US, offers digital pharmacy services, including online prescription management and deliveries.
Other notable mentions include Hims & Hers Health, Inc. (US), PharmEasy (India), Apollo Pharmacy (India), and many more. These digital pharmacies have been focusing on product/service upgrades, acquisitions, partnerships, and collaborations to expand their product offerings and market presence in the digital pharmacy sector.
Amazon Pharmacy: A leader
Amazon Pharmacy, launched in November 2020, aims to make the pharmacy experience more convenient and affordable for its customers. Here are some key points about Amazon Pharmacy:
Purpose: Amazon Pharmacy was introduced to reduce the challenges people face in accessing their medications, especially considering the inconvenience and high costs associated with traditional pharmacies.
Services: As a full-service online pharmacy, Amazon Pharmacy offers a wide range of medications at competitive prices to customers across the U.S., regardless of whether they have insurance. They also provide 24/7 access to licensed pharmacists.
How It Works: Customers can access Amazon Pharmacy via the Amazon website or app. They can search for medications, create a profile, transfer prescriptions, and more. Once a prescription is validated, customers can check out their Pharmacy cart, with various payment options available, including potential Prime member discounts.
RxPass: Amazon Pharmacy introduced RxPass, a subscription service for Prime members. For a flat fee of $5 a month, Prime members can receive all their eligible generic medications. This service covers medications for over 80 common conditions, such as high blood pressure, anxiety, and acid reflux.
Delivery: Medications are delivered directly to the customer's address. Prime members benefit from free 2-day shipping, while other customers can avail of free 4-5 day standard shipping or opt for 2-day shipping at $5.99.
Prescription Transfer: Customers can ask their prescriber to send the prescription directly to Amazon Pharmacy or request Amazon Pharmacy to contact the prescriber. The review process by Amazon pharmacists typically takes about 24 hours.
Medication Range: Amazon Pharmacy stocks a wide variety of medications for common conditions. However, certain medications, such as medical devices, schedule II drugs, suspensions, vaccines, and some specialty medications, are not available.
RxPass Availability: Currently, RxPass is available in 42 states, with some exceptions.
Prime Member Benefits: While medications are not free, Prime members can enjoy savings with free 2-day shipping, low prices on medications, and the option to sign up for the RxPass subscription. They can also avail discounts of up to 80% off generic and 40% off brand-name medications at over 60,000 participating pharmacies, including Amazon Pharmacy.
Coverage: Amazon Pharmacy delivers to all 50 U.S. states, including the District of Columbia.
What are the customer experience related challenges digital pharmacies face?
Digital pharmacies, while offering numerous advantages in terms of convenience and accessibility, also face several customer experience-related challenges. Here are some of the most common challenges:
Trust and Security Concerns: Many customers are wary of purchasing medications online due to concerns about counterfeit drugs, privacy breaches, and the security of their personal and financial information.
Regulatory Compliance: Digital pharmacies must navigate a complex web of regulations, which can vary by region or country. Ensuring compliance while providing a seamless customer experience can be challenging.
Prescription Verification: Authenticating and verifying prescriptions in a digital format can be time-consuming and may lead to delays, affecting the overall customer experience.
Technical Issues: Glitches, downtime, or issues with the online platform can hinder the user experience. Ensuring a smooth and user-friendly interface is crucial.
Delivery Delays: One of the main selling points of digital pharmacies is the convenience of home delivery. However, logistical challenges or external factors can lead to delivery delays, which can frustrate customers.
Limited Human Interaction: Some customers prefer the personal touch and advice they receive from their local pharmacists. The lack of face-to-face interaction in digital pharmacies can be a deterrent for these individuals.
Medication Availability: Stocking a wide range of medications and ensuring they are always available can be a challenge. Out-of-stock situations can lead to customer dissatisfaction.
Communication Barriers: Addressing customer queries, concerns, or complaints in a timely and effective manner is crucial. Digital pharmacies may struggle with providing prompt customer service, especially during peak times.
Educational Gaps: Customers often rely on pharmacists for advice on medication usage, side effects, and interactions. Digital pharmacies need to find effective ways to provide this information online, which can be challenging.
Return and Refund Policies: Handling returns and processing refunds in the pharmaceutical industry can be complex due to the nature of the products. Clear policies need to be in place, and customers need to be made aware of them.
Integration with Healthcare Systems: Integrating with doctors, insurance companies, and other healthcare providers to ensure a seamless experience for the customer can be challenging.
Adapting to Rapid Technological Changes: The digital landscape is constantly evolving. Digital pharmacies need to stay updated with the latest technologies and trends to offer the best customer experience.
Cultural and Language Barriers: For digital pharmacies operating in diverse regions, addressing cultural nuances and language differences is essential to ensure a positive customer experience.
Potential of Generative AI led innovations in digital pharmacies in 2023
Generative AI, a subset of artificial intelligence that focuses on creating new content or data, holds significant potential for reshaping the digital pharmacy landscape in 2023. Here are some of the potential innovations and applications of Generative AI in the digital pharmacy sector:
- Personalized Medicine Recommendations: Generative AI can analyze a patient's medical history, genetic makeup, and other relevant data to suggest personalized medication regimens or alternative therapies, optimizing treatment outcomes.
- Drug Discovery and Development: Generative AI models can predict the potential efficacy and safety of new drug compounds, speeding up the drug discovery process. By analyzing vast datasets, these models can suggest new drug combinations or modifications to existing drugs to enhance their effectiveness.
- Virtual Health Assistants: Generative AI can power virtual health assistants that provide real-time advice to patients. These assistants can answer queries, provide medication information, and even suggest when to consult a healthcare professional.
- Predictive Analytics for Inventory Management: Generative AI can forecast demand for specific medications, helping digital pharmacies optimize their inventory, reduce wastage, and ensure that essential drugs are always in stock.
The potential of Generative AI in the digital pharmacy sector in 2023 is vast. By harnessing this technology, digital pharmacies can enhance their services, optimize operations, and provide a more personalized and efficient experience for their customers. As the technology matures, its applications in the digital pharmacy space are expected to grow exponentially.
How Digital Pharmacies May Potentially Implement Generative AI: Insights
Let's delve into real-life examples of how generative AI has been implemented in various sectors, with a focus on its potential applications in digital pharmacies:
- Implementation: Amazon has expanded its use of generative AI to summarize customers’ product reviews on its shopping site. This not only enhances the user experience but also provides a concise feedback mechanism for products, including those in the health and pharmacy sectors.
- Potential in Digital Pharmacies: Such a system could be used to summarize patient reviews on medications, side effects, or even the delivery experience, providing valuable insights to both consumers and the pharmacy.
- Implementation: Cisco has incorporated generative AI in its collaboration products. For instance, their Webex users can now quickly summarize call information. Features like "Catch Me Up" allow users to rapidly catch up on missed meetings, calls, and chats.
- Potential in Digital Pharmacies: Such a tool could be invaluable for digital pharmacies in summarizing patient consultations, pharmacist interactions, or even team meetings, ensuring that no critical information is missed.
Microsoft and Google:
- Implementation: Microsoft added a GPT-powered chatbot to Bing search, providing conversational answers to queries. Similarly, Google incorporated generative AI tools into its productivity and search products.
- Potential in Digital Pharmacies: Such chatbots could be integrated into digital pharmacy platforms to answer patient queries, provide medication information, or even assist in the ordering process.
Event Industry Innovations:
- Implementation: Software firms like Grip and Superlinked use predictive AI to assist event organizers in making data-driven decisions. They analyze attendee data from past events to gain insights for future ones.
- Potential in Digital Pharmacies: Digital pharmacies could use similar tools to analyze patient purchase patterns, medication reviews, and interactions to predict future demands, stock requirements, or even to tailor promotional events.
- Implementation: JetBlue partnered with ASAPP to implement an AI-based customer service solution that saves significant time per chat, enhancing efficiency.
- Potential in Digital Pharmacies: A similar system could be employed by digital pharmacies to streamline customer interactions, address queries, and even process orders, ensuring a smooth and efficient customer experience.
From these real-life examples, it's evident that generative AI has vast potential in reshaping various sectors, including digital pharmacies. By integrating these innovations, digital pharmacies can enhance user experience, streamline operations, and make data-driven decisions to stay ahead in the competitive landscape.
GET AHEADTop Research Reports to Fuel Your Industry Knowledge
- Pharmaceutical Drug Delivery Market Size, Growth by Route of Administration (Oral, Injectors, Implantable, Syrups, Gels, Pulmonary, Solutions, Tablets, Syringes), Application (Cancer, Diabetes), Facility of Use (Hospitals) - Global Forecast to 2026
- Digital Pharmacy Market by Drug (Rx, OTC), Product (Medicine, Personal Care, Vitamins & Supplements, Diabetes, CVD, Oncology), Platform (Apps, Websites), Business Model (Captive, Franchise, Aggregator), Geographic (Urban, Rural) - Global Forecast to 2027
Energy and PowerBHP Approves USD 4.9 Billion Investment in Stage Two of Jansen Potash Project
Information and Communication TechnologyUSD 100 Bn Climate Finance Goal Achieved Amidst Surging Green Technology Market
Sustainable Digital Transformation & Industry 4.0
Sanjay Kaul, President-Asia Pacific & Japan, Cisco, and host Aashish Mehra, Chief Research Officer, MarketsandMarkets, in conversation on unraveling 'Sustainable Digital Transformation and Industry 4.0'
11 July 2023|S2E12|Listen Now
Prasad Joshi, Senior Vice President-Emerging Technology Solutions, Infosys, and host, Vinod Chikkareddy, CCO, MarketsandMarkets, in exploring the recent advances in AI and the generative AI space.
7 Nov 2023|S2E13|Listen Now