Drippers Market by Type (Inline and Online), Crop Type (Field Crops (Corn, Cotton, Sugarcane, Rice), Fruits & Nuts, Vegetable Crops), and Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Rest of the world) - Global Forecast to 2027
[230 Pages Report] According to MarketsandMarkets, the global drippers market is estimated to be valued at USD 288 million in 2022 and is projected to reach USD 469 million by 2027, recording a CAGR of 10.2% in terms of value. The global drippers market has realized opportunities in innovative products and patent registrations, indicating a growing demand for the latest agricultural technologies. Developing countries such as India and China are among the largest markets due to the agrarian nature of their economies and increasing levels of water scarcity that affect the regions.
Government schemes and subsidies combined with industry participation continue to bolster prospects for drippers in the Asia Pacific region. The growth in the implementation of drip irrigation systems is supporting the growth of the drippers market globally. The global drippers market is projected to be dominated by the Asia Pacific region, which held the largest share during the forecast period.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, Request for Free Sample Report
Drivers: Increase in crop productivity and, thus, profitability
Farmers usually face difficulties such as rolling topography, shifting elevations, erratic weather patterns, excessive water waste, and nutrient leaching. Up to 30–40% of operating expenses can be attributed to the fertilizers used to replenish soil nutrients. Many of the issues that farmers confront seem to have practical solutions with drip irrigation. Drip irrigation systems emit small amounts of water and nutrients directly into the soil to every plant over the entire field, in contrast to systems with a saturated water flow (such as sprinklers).
Drip irrigation thus speeds up crop maturity while increasing crop production, yield, and quality. And all of this while utilizing a lot less water than conventional irrigation techniques like sprinklers, center pivot irrigation, and lateral irrigation. Drip irrigation is now a proven technique that helps in supplying a uniform quantity of water to plants, this increases farm productivity also when facing water scarcity. The total farm productivity is estimated to increase by 40%–50% with drip irrigation systems. Drip irrigation helps reduce water and fertilizer costs through proper usage and increases crop productivity by providing plants with appropriate water and fertilizer. These factors, in turn, are forecasted to support the growth of the drippers market.
Restraints: High setup cost of large-scale drip irrigation systems
One of the biggest drawbacks of a drip irrigation system is its initial capital requirement. A drip irrigation system consists of a filter, main line, sub-main lines, laterals, emitters & drippers, controls valves, flush valve, pressure gauge, gromate (rubber bush) and take-off, end caps, and fertilizing system, among others. The cost of each of these components usually makes drip irrigation expensive. Furthermore, the cost of installation, removal, maintenance, and requirement of regular capital to replace parts of the systems after fixed interval hinders the adoption of drip irrigation systems.
Opportunities: Increasing adoption of precision agriculture and sustainable practices
One of the most important sustainability concerns of the twenty-first century is widely acknowledged to be water. In many parts of the world, issues with water access, quality, and sanitation are impeding growth, imposing a high human cost, and endangering vital ecosystems that support life. As a result, attention has been drawn to protecting water. Similarly, due to desertification, climate change, and natural disasters, arable land is declining. Several governments and companies operating in the agriculture industry recognize the need for a new vision for agriculture to maintain global food security as well as environmental sustainability and economic opportunity.
It has shifted the focus to implementing drip irrigation systems, which help lower water usage through efficient management. The use of drip irrigation increases water productivity by supplying water to plants at a very lower rate compared to flood irrigation. Thus, it helps in reducing water evaporation and runoff. The benefits of drip irrigation in sustainable and precision agriculture are projected to support the growth of the drippers market soon.
Challenges: Clogging in drippers leads to additional maintenance cost
The clogging of the nozzles with chemically derived particles might ruin the irrigation uniformity in micro-irrigation systems, which are characterized by several emitters with small nozzles. The quality of irrigation water, which appears to depend on the number of suspended materials, chemical composition, and microorganism activity in the water, is directly related to emitter clogging. Thin substances, such as silt, clay, and organic matter suspended in an emitter outlet that has become extremely constrained due to precipitation, accelerate clogging by quickly building up. This clogging results in uneven water distribution, loss in crop productivity, the additional cost of maintenance, repair & replacement of emitters, and labor. These factors present a challenge in the growth of the drippers market.
By type, inline is anticipated to grow at the highest CAGR during the study period
The end users of inline emitters have substantial labor savings, as emitters are preinstalled. Inline emitters are molded into the dripline, which helps negate the costs for additional emitters. Preferably, inline drippers are installed where the plants are planted in close vicinity of each other and usually have less than 3 feet of space between two crops.
By crop type, field crops are forecasted to grow at the highest CAGR during the research period
The use of drip irrigation in cotton cultivation is increasing, further propelling the segment's growth. Management of soil fertility & irrigation water plays a major role in increasing cotton productivity. It is difficult to keep the cotton field's moisture levels stable. It might encourage disease and pest outbreaks. The ideal option, in this case, is drip irrigation, which keeps moisture levels constant. In addition, problems with flowering, ball growth, and ball opening exist in cotton farming. Drip irrigation is necessary for cotton farming since these characteristics necessitate balanced nutrition, a 95% germination rate, and other requirements. As cotton plantation is done in close placing, inline drippers are preferred.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
The growth of the market in the Asia Pacific region is majorly driven by the large population engaged in agriculture. Most of the population in countries such as India still depends on agriculture as their major livelihood source for livelihoods. With the increasing support from governments in the form of subsidies, drip irrigation systems are becoming more affordable for farmers having mid-size farms. This is, in turn, fostering the growth of the drippers market in the region. Moreover, there is an increased focus on cash crops, further propelling the market's growth.
Key Market Players:
Key players in this market include The Toro Company (US), Rivulis Irrigation Ltd. (Israel), Hunter Industries, Inc. (US), Netafim Limited (Israel), Jain Irrigation Systems Ltd. (India), Rain Bird Corporation (US), Chinadrip Irrigation Equipment Co., Ltd. (China), Elgo Irrigation Ltd. (Israel), Metzer (Israel), and Azud Spain).
Scope of the Report
Market size estimation
Base year considered
Forecast period considered
Type, Crop Type, and Region
North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and Rest of the world
- Drip irrigation system manufacturers
- Government and research organizations
- Suppliers and distributors of drippers
- Marketing directors
- Key executives from various key companies and organizations in the drippers market
This research report categorizes the drippers market based on type, crop type, and region.
By Crop Type
- Field crops
- Other field crops
- Fruits & Nuts
Other fruit & nuts
- Vegetable crops
- Other vegetable crops
- In March 2022, Hunter Industries, Inc. (US) updated the HE and HEB family of Point-Source Emitters with new colors that blend seamlessly into the surrounding environment. These would be color-coded for fast flow identification and feature coined edges for easy gripping during installation. It would help the company to strengthen its product portfolio.
- In August 2021, Jain Irrigation Systems Ltd. (India) announced the acquisition of ETwater (US), which offered a cloud-based platform and a line of weather-adaptive smart controllers. This acquisition would help the company to expand its water management technology product offering.
- In March 2022, The Toro Company (US) expanded its precision irrigation Toro Aqua-Traxx Azul drip tape product line. Since its introduction, the Azul line would offer growers field-proven performance by providing superior clog resistance through an innovative emitter design, with multi-stage filters resulting in greater filtration area.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Which are the types considered in this study, and which type is projected to have promising growth rates in the future?
The types considered in this study are Inline drippers and online drippers. Inline drippers is projected to have a promising growth rate in the future.
I am interested in the Asia Pacific market for drippers. Which countries are included in this region?
- Rest of Asia Pacific (South Korea, the Philippines, Bangladesh, and Vietnam)
Also, you can let us know if there are any other countries of your interest
What are some of the drivers fuelling the growth of the drippers market?
- New specifications of drippers enabling in more efficient usage of water
Drippers can help improve water efficiency by emitting a fixed amount of water at a fixed flow rate to the plants. Various types of drippers are innovated to improve the efficiency of drip irrigation systems. The angle, inclination, grade, or slope of the irrigation area is a crucial environmental factor that influences how drip irrigation pipe operates. Without the use of special drippers, a properly functioning drip irrigation line may distribute water predictably and uniformly to all dripping locations over relatively flat terrain.
- Growing encouragement by governments to implement drip irrigation systems
Developing countries such as India and China are among the major countries adopting drip irrigation systems, and the key driver is support from government agencies and public-private partnerships through prominent industry participants. Government programs such as India’s Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) seek to extend the coverage of micro irrigation in the country through subsidies on kits and systems to improve acceptance among farmers.
I am interested in understanding the research methodology on how you arrived at the market size and segmental splits before making a purchase decision. Can you provide me with an explanation on the same?
- Bottom-up approach
- Top-down approach (Based on the global market)
- Primary interviews with industry experts
- Data triangulation
What kind of information is provided in the competitive landscape section?
For the list of the below-mentioned players, company profiles provide insights such as a business overview covering information on the company’s business segments, financials, geographic presence, revenue mix, and business revenue mix. The company profiles section also provides information on product offerings, key developments associated with the company, SWOT analysis, and MnM view to elaborate analyst view on the company. Some of the key players in the market include Jain Irrigation Systems Ltd. (India), The Toro Company (US), Rivulis Irrigation Ltd. (Israel), Hunter Industries, Inc. (US), Netafim Limited (Israel), Rain Bird Corporation (US), Chinadrip Irrigation Equipment Co., Ltd. (China), Elgo Irrigation Ltd. (Israel), Metzer (Israel), and Azud (Spain).
To speak to our analyst for a discussion on the above findings, click Speak to Analyst
The study involved four major activities in estimating the drippers market size. Exhaustive secondary research was conducted to collect information on the market, peer market, and parent market. The next step was to validate these findings, assumptions, and sizing with industry experts across the value chain through primary research. Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were employed to estimate the complete market size. Thereafter, market breakdown and data triangulation were used to estimate the market size of segments and sub-segments.
In the secondary research process, various secondary sources, such as Hoovers, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and Dun & Bradstreet, were referred to identify and collect information for this study. These secondary sources included annual reports, press releases & investor presentations of companies, white papers, certified publications, articles by recognized authors, gold & silver standard websites, regulatory bodies, trade directories, and databases.
The market comprises several stakeholders in the supply chain, including drip irrigation/dripper system manufacturers, suppliers, farmers/growers, importers and exporters, and intermediary suppliers such as traders and distributors of dripper products. Various primary sources from both the supply and demand sides of the market were interviewed to obtain qualitative and quantitative information. The primary interviewees from the supply side include drip irrigation system manufacturers, suppliers, importers, and exporters. The primary sources from the demand side include farmers/growers, intermediary suppliers such as traders, and distributors of drippers products.
Given below is the breakdown of the primary respondents.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
Market Size Estimation
Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were used to estimate and validate the total size of the drippers market. These methods were also used extensively to estimate the size of various subsegments in the market. The research methodology used to estimate the market size includes the following:
- The key players were identified through extensive primary and secondary research.
- The value chain and market size of the drippers market, in terms of value, were determined through primary and secondary research.
- All percentage shares splits, and breakdowns were determined using secondary sources and verified through primary sources.
- All possible parameters that affect the market covered in this research study were accounted for, viewed in extensive detail, verified through primary research, and analyzed to obtain the final quantitative and qualitative data.
- The research included the study of reports, reviews, and newsletters of top market players, along with extensive interviews for opinions from key leaders, such as CEOs, directors, and marketing executives.
After arriving at the overall market size from the estimation process described above, the total market was split into several segments. Data triangulation and market breakdown procedures were employed, wherever applicable to complete the overall market engineering process and arrive at the exact statistics for all segments. The data was triangulated by studying various factors and trends from both the demand and supply sides. In addition, the market size was validated using both top-down and bottom-up approaches. It was then verified through primary interviews. Hence, three approaches were adopted—the top-down approach, the bottom-up approach, and the one involving expert interviews. Only when the values arrived at from the three points matches, the data is assumed to be correct.
- To describe and forecast the drippers market in terms of type, crop type, and region
- To describe and forecast the drippers market, in terms of value, by region–North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, South America, and the rest of the world—along with their respective countries
- To provide detailed information regarding the major factors influencing the market growth (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges)
- To strategically analyze micro-markets with respect to individual growth trends, prospects, and contributions to the overall market
- To study the complete value chain of the drippers market
- To analyze opportunities in the market for stakeholders by identifying the high-growth segments of the drippers market
- To strategically profile the key players and comprehensively analyze their market positions, in terms of ranking and core competencies, along with details on the competitive landscape of market leaders
- To analyze strategic approaches, such as expansions & investments, product launches & approvals, mergers & acquisitions, and partnerships in the drippers market
Based on the given market data, MarketsandMarkets offers customizations in the reports according to client-specific requirements. The available customization options are as follows:
- Product Matrix, which gives a detailed comparison of the product portfolio of each company
- Further breakdown of the Rest of Europe drippers market into Germany and Eastern European countries
- Further breakdown of the Rest of Asia Pacific drippers market into the Philippines, Singapore, and Papua New Guinea.
- Further breakdown of other countries in the Rest of the World drippers market by key countries
- Detailed analyses and profiling of additional market players (up to five)