Yeast Market by Type (Baker’s Yeast, Brewer’s Yeast, Wine Yeast, Probiotics Yeast), Form (Active, Instant, Fresh), Genus (Saccharomyces, Kluyveromyces), Application (Food, Feed), and Region - Global Forecast to 2025
Top 10 companies in Yeast Market
Yeast Market News
[186 Pages Report] According to MarketsandMarkets, the global yeast market size is estimated to be valued at USD 3.9 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach USD 6.1 billion by 2025, recording a CAGR of 9.6%. Yeast, being one of the most versatile microorganisms, is used in the production of food & beverage products. The commercialization of yeast has resulted in a transition phase in the yeast industry. The market for yeast is growing globally due to the increase in demand for bakery products, the trend of buying alcoholic beverages worldwide, and global demand for bioethanol as a fuel.
The demand for naturally-sourced food additive witnesses a significant increase due to the growing health concerns among consumers, which is projected to drive the growth of the market. However, food safety regulations for the use of red yeast extract products is a key factor that is projected to inhibit the growth of this market in developed regions.
By type, the baker’s yeast segment is projected to account for the largest share in the market
The baker’s segment is projected to dominate the market, based on type, during the forecast period. This is attributed to the cost-effectiveness and wide application areas of baker’s yeast in industries, such as food and feed. The growth of the baker’s yeast market is directly linked to the increase in the consumption of bakery items. The rise in consumption of bakery products, particularly bread, in developed regions is projected to drive the growth of the baker’s yeast market. Moreover, according to the All India Bread Manufacturer’s Association (AIBMA), India’s estimated per capita consumption of bread is nearly 1.5 kg to 1.75 kg. Thus, the increase in consumption of bakery products, particularly bread, contributes to the growth of the baker’s yeast segment in the market during the forecast period.
By application, the food segment is projected to account for a larger share in the market during the forecast period
Based on the application, the market is segmented into food and feed. The food segment is estimated to account for a larger share due to the high consumption of bakery products. The rising consumption of naturally-extracted ingredients with the increasing demand for clean-label and free-from products, which is projected to drive the growth of this market in the food industry. However, major players, such as AngelYeast Co., Ltd. (China), Associated British Food PLC (UK), and Oriental Yeast Co., Ltd. (Japan), are constantly witnessing an increase in production to cater to the requirements in the food industry.
Europe is projected to account for the largest share during the forecast period
In 2019, Europe accounted for the largest share in the market. The processed food and bakery industries in the European region are witnessing significant growth due to the change in lifestyles of consumers and an increase in disposable income levels. The European yeast market is witnessing significant growth due to the increase in consumption of processed food products, the rise in alcohol consumption, and awareness about the nutritive value of yeast. The market in the European Union is mainly concentrated on bread production applications. The increase in the consumption of cakes, bread, pastries, as well as alcoholic beverages has led to an increase in demand for yeast in European countries.
Key Market Players
Key players in this market include AngelYeast Co., Ltd. (China), Lesaffre Group (France), Lallemand Inc. (Canada), Associated British Foods PLC (UK), Alltech (US), and Chr. Hansen Holdings A/S (Denmark).
Scope of the Report
Market size estimation
Base year considered
Forecast period considered
Value (USD), Volume (Kilo Tons)
Type, genus, form, application, and region
North America, Asia Pacific, Europe, South America, and RoW
- Raw material manufacturers and suppliers
- Research institutions
- Government bodies
- End-users (food, feed, and the beverage industry)
- Baker’s yeast
- Brewer’s yeast
- Probiotics yeast
- Wine yeast
- Other types
- Other genera
- Prepared meals
- Other food applications
- Other feed applications
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America
- Rest of the World (RoW)
- In January 2019, Kerry Group launched its first non-GMO yeast named “Acryleast” for effective reduction of acrylamide levels up to 90% without affecting the taste and texture of food & beverages. This new product launch helped the company to strengthen its clean label product range.
- In January 2020, Lesaffre Group set up a new baking center for its subsidiary, Lesaffre Ivoire, in Abidjan, West Africa, for providing innovative bread-making solutions. This new establishment would help the company to serve its customer base in West Africa, increase its production capacity, and expand its geographic reach.
- In October 2019, Lallemand Inc. set up a new specialty yeast manufacturing facility in Passau, Germany. This new establishment helped the company to serve its customer base in Europe, increase its production capacity, and expand its geographic reach.
- In November 2018, Alltech expanded its production facility by setting up a new manufacturing plant in Pune (India) for feed products. This expansion helped the company to expand its customer base in Asia Pacific and production capacity.
- In December 2019, AngelYeast Co., Ltd. launched a new natural flavor-enhancing solution for plant-based foods and beverages in Europe. This product launch will help the company to strengthen its portfolio and increase its customer base in Europe.
Key Questions Addressed by the Report:
- What are the growth opportunities in the yeast market?
- What are the major food application areas for yeast?
- What are the key factors affecting market dynamics?
- What are some of the significant challenges and restraints that the industry faces?
- Which are the key players operating in the market, and what initiatives have they undertaken over the past few years?
To speak to our analyst for a discussion on the above findings, click Speak to Analyst
Table 2 Market Snapshot, 2020 vs. 2025
The study involved four major activities in estimating the size of the global yeast market. Exhaustive secondary research was conducted to collect information on the market, peer market, and parent market. The next step was to validate these findings, assumptions, and sizing with industry experts across the value chain through primary research. Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were employed to estimate the complete market size. Thereafter, market breakdown and data triangulation were used to estimate the market size of segments and subsegments.
In the secondary research process, various secondary sources, such as Hoovers, Bloomberg BusinessWeek, and Dun & Bradstreet, were referred to, in order to identify and collect information for this study. These secondary sources included annual reports, press releases & investor presentations of companies, white papers, certified publications, articles by recognized authors, gold & silver standard websites, food safety organizations, regulatory bodies, trade directories, and databases.
The market comprises several stakeholders, such as raw material suppliers, processors, manufacturers, and regulatory organizations, in the supply chain. The demand-side of the market is characterized by the presence of various industrial processors of food & beverages, which include meat and seafood processors, alcoholic drinks processors, and research institutions. The supply side is characterized by the presence of raw material manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, researchers, and service providers. Various primary sources from both the supply and demand sides of the market were interviewed to obtain qualitative and quantitative information. Given below is the breakdown of the primary respondents.
To know about the assumptions considered for the study, download the pdf brochure
Market Size Estimation
Both the top-down and bottom-up approaches were used to estimate and validate the total size of the yeast market. These methods were also used extensively to estimate the sizes of various subsegments in the market. The research methodology used to estimate the market size includes the following:
- The key players were identified through extensive primary and secondary research.
- The value chain and the market size of the yeast market, in terms of value, were determined through primary and secondary research.
- All percentage shares, splits, and breakdowns were determined using secondary sources and verified through primary sources.
- All possible parameters that affect the market covered in this research study were accounted for, viewed in extensive detail, verified through primary research, and analyzed to obtain the final quantitative and qualitative data.
- The research included the study of reports, reviews, newsletters of top market players, along with extensive interviews for opinions from key leaders, such as CEOs, directors, and marketing executives.
After arriving at the overall market size from the estimation process described above, the total market was split into several segments. To complete the overall market engineering process and arrive at the exact statistics for all segments, the data triangulation and market breakdown procedures were employed, wherever applicable. The data was triangulated by studying various factors and trends from both the demand and supply sides. In addition, the market size was validated using both top-down and bottom-up approaches. It was then verified through primary interviews. Hence, three approaches were adopted-top-down approach, bottom-up approach, and the one involving expert interviews. Only when the values arrived at from the three points match, the data is assumed to be correct.
- To describe and forecast the yeast market, in terms of type, genus, form, application, and region
- To describe and forecast the yeast market, in terms of value, by region–Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, South America, and the Rest of the World—along with their respective countries
- To provide detailed information regarding the major factors influencing the market growth (drivers, restraints, opportunities, and challenges)
- To strategically analyze micromarkets with respect to individual growth trends, prospects, and contributions to the overall market
- To study the complete value chain of the yeast market
- To analyze opportunities in the market for stakeholders by identifying the high-growth segments of the yeast market
- To strategically profile the key players and comprehensively analyze their market position, in terms of ranking and core competencies, along with details on the competitive landscape of market leaders
- To analyze strategic approaches, such as acquisitions & divestments, expansions, product launches & approvals, and agreements, in the yeast market
Based on the given market data, MarketsandMarkets offers customizations in the reports according to client-specific requirements. The available customization options are as follows:
- Further breakdown of the Rest of the World yeast market into Africa and the Middle East
- Further breakdown of the Rest of Asia Pacific yeast market into New Zealand, Singapore, and Thailand
- Further breakdown of the Rest of European yeast market into Netherlands, Russia, Greece, and Poland
- Further breakdown of the Rest of South America yeast market into Chile, Peru, and Colombia
- Further breakdown of the yeast application market, by country